Monday, October 26, 2009

My thoughts on Acta

On this gorgeous Indian summer day in Ohio (pun intended), I'd like to give my two cents on the tribe's hire of Manny Acta. Although other writers (ie Pluto, Cousineau and Lastoria) have already covered this hire in far more depth than I intend to here, I hope to add my take to the historical record. Personally, I'm pleased by the move. It doesn't feel like a slam dunk to me, but Acta seems to be the best choice available.

I suggested earlier on this blog that I wanted Bobby V as the tribe's next manager. Bobby V would have been a lot of fun and I'm sure, if he'd accepted the job, he would have clawed and fought as hard as anybody for this ballclub. However, I have a sinking suspicion that Bobby V simply wanted to raise his profile again and show he's "back in business." The rebuilding project in Cleveland just seems wrong for a personality as big as Bobby V (remember Piniella in Tampa Bay?). I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the manager of the Mets, Dodgers, Cubs or Braves after next season. It appears likely those teams will have openings after 2010 and Bobby V's personality would mesh best with a bigger market and more established team.

Well, back to the man of the hour. I'm impressed that by Acta's energy and youthfulness and I'm glad the tribe picked somebody who values advanced statistics to a veteran retread manager (sorry Grover). I believe that Acta's legacy in Cleveland will hinge upon his work with our latino players. The underachieving trio of Fausto Carmona, Jhonny Peralta and Rafael Perez have stagnated, or in Carmona's case fallen off a cliff, since early successes in their respective careers. It's hard to remember, but Fausto finished 4th in the CY Young vote as a 23 year old, when Peralta was 23 he had an OPS of .886 and just two years ago Perez looked to be the next big thing as far as left handed relievers go. But most importantly, there are two electric latino arms in AAA that could spell success or doom for this latest rebuild. Acta has a reputation for being a good manager of young players, but will he be able to channel the immense talents of Rondon and Carrasco? I think that's what will determine the success of his regime.

Alex Trebek

PS: I've got a fun post scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday, so make sure to stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment